Decorative embellishments allow scrapbookers to turn an average page into one that sparkles. However, using embellishments can be expensive and you canít always find exactly what you want for your layout. Here is a suggestion for how to use what you have on hand to make something that will be exactly what you want.
Take a $.49 box of small paper clips or the $.89 box of large paper clips, add items you already on hand and you have an altered paper clip to embellish your page. There are a million ways to alter a paper clip, and like any altered art, you canít mess it up! Altering by nature definition is out-of-the-box and funky, but don't let that scare you away from trying. You'll quickly realize just how addicting making these things can get!
Here are a few examples of how you can alter a paper clip.
- Put a sticker on a piece of card stock and cut around the sticker about 1/8 of an inch to make a frame. Glue the sticker to the top of the paper clip. You can then put the paper clip on a journal box for decoration.
- Take small beads and put them on the paper clip. Glue the ones at each end of the string of beads so that the beads will stay where you want them to on the paper clip
- Take buttons and glue them to the paper clip and clip it to a journal box for decoration
- Take metallic letters or numbers, word charms and add them to the paper clip. You can glue them to the top of the paper clip or you can hang them from thread or ribbon.
- Glue a small silk flower to the top of the paper clip and clip it to a border.
- Glue a small tile to the top of the paper clip. You can change the look of the tile by putting a rub on letter on it and using it as part of a title.
- Glue some of the small wooden shapes you can get at a craft store.
- Glue rhinestone jewels to the top of the paper clip and use it to decorate a border or a tag.
- You can change the color of the clip if you dip it into clear embossing ink and then into your favorite embossing powder. Just remember that the clip is metal and will heat up quickly. Hold it with a set of tweezers so you donít burn yourself. Make sure you use metal paper clips and not plastic ones for this technique.
There is one key element that you will need to make an altered paper clip. Although there is no wrong way, there is definitely an easy way!
- Make sure you use a sturdy glue to attach your item to the paper clip. Making Memories metal glue works well but you can use other gel or craft type glues. Try to find one that isnít runny or you will end up gluing the paper clip to your work surface.
Other than that, have fun and experiment. Seriously, you can't mess this one up! Throw those rules of design out the window and go nuts.